INDEX | RULES & INFORMATION | SUPPORT FORUM | DOCUMENTATION | SEARCH | MEMBERS | TWITTER | TERMS

Add Reply
New Poll

Applications
Crystal
 Posted: Nov 29 2013, 12:46 AM

5665 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
Missouri, USA
07/13/2012
Female

Not a fan of them to be fully honest with anyone, but in the end I know a majority of sites now prefer to sue them for everything before allowing anyone to roleplay they have to fill out an application and they have to go in and do a ton of other things then they get sorted and set. I would prefer to get sorted and be able to RP and develop my character BEFORE making their profile or anything else because the point of roleplay is not to create a fully developed and done character it is to develop them through your experiences, I feel that in the past couple years that has been gotten away from a lot. I really miss it.

user posted image
DeviantArt | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: C. Jones
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmailWebsite
^
Elena
 Posted: Nov 29 2013, 03:03 AM

211 POSTS
49 YEARS OLD
Bucharest, Romania
10/13/2013
Female

QUOTE (Crystal @ Nov 29 2013, 06:46 AM)
I would prefer to get sorted and be able to RP and develop my character BEFORE making their profile or anything else because the point of roleplay is not to create a fully developed and done character it is to develop them through your experiences.

I disagree with this.

In my opinion, the point of introducing a character into roleplay (or into any story) is to create first a fully developed character that the writer understands and can write properly for, who matches the setting and who is suitable for the adventures the writer wants him/ her to go through. Then, during the story's journey (be it a roleplay or written alone) the character further evolves. But I think it is necessary for the character to be fully developed from the start. Not having this leaves room for flat characters.

I have been writing detailed character profiles for the characters in my stories long time before knowing that RPGs do exist. A bio makes the writer think about the character carefully, encouraging better, richer characters with more depth and especially encouraging character development.

This being said, I love detailed applications from all points of view - the writer's, the staff's and the writing partners'.

As a writer, I said it before why. If I don;t have a fully written profile, with history and personality, I can't understand the character and I can't write him properly. I wouldn't know how to write for him otherwise. And once the bio is written, then yes, I have an understanding and I write him according to the bio. It also helps me remember details when I need them in the story - from their sibling's name to that point in their personality or in their past... or what town they had been born in.

As a staff member, reading a bio I can see that the writer understands the setting, has read and incorporated actively the lore, understands the period's mentality and degree of technical/ economical/ social development, that and how his character is supposed to fit into the story. I can also see if the character is fully developed and not a mere stereotype. I can see the logic which makes the personality and history match, and the writer's literary prowess.

Besides, not having an application process, some members may think they can get away with just about anything, or they might write their character according to their moods, instead of consistently (yes, I have seen cases).

As a writing partner, reading a bio makes me understand which details can generate further plots between my characters and that character. What they have in common? Where could they have met before? What do they hate in each other?

] user posted image
||Tumblr|| Pinterest|| Facebook||Youtube||
Recommending:
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmailYIM
^
brax
 Posted: Dec 2 2013, 11:56 PM

63 POSTS
N/A YEARS OLD
N/A
07/30/2013
N/A

On my sites, I don't expect characters to be fully developed upon app submission, but I do requre an idea of what the character would be like.

For example, I had a player that wanted to create a panwere, with 3 strains of were (eg they could be a dingo, tiger and wolf were at once). These are pretty fricking rare though, so I wasn't about to just go 'yup, go ahead' without some idea of how it occured, and where the player wanted to take it (for example, the only other panwere on the site is in charge of the lions and is trying to take over the rats).

I don't need to know everything though - just the outline.

I do get a little annoyed on sites where they're very pedantic about all the details, I believe it takes away from the enjoyment. I actually have a forum idea I'll start one day where the app is literally:

name, age, character (if canon), brief blurb, originating role play (its basically a HP Anon where players can throw in all the HP characters they've created but never got a chance to really play.)

So, I would never push for a super detailed app, but I don't think on a site like my ALM I'd have no app since its the sort of thing that needs it to prevent godmodding etc.
PMEmail
^
Garnet
 Posted: Jun 13 2014, 03:45 AM

19 POSTS
25 YEARS OLD
N/A
06/12/2014
Female

I can't rp without an application. I see applications as starting points. Characters should be well rounded, developed bases of people. Like a less detailed version of a Sim. You go through, you define their major points, the major happenstances in their lives that made them who they are today, everything to give you a sense of who they are at their cores. You need to know who you're writing, especially if you're on a board where plot is very important. You need to know your characters, if not intimately, then well enough to reason through their actions, tastes, and thoughts. And an application helps you take all those thoughts about the character, see what does and doesn't work, and put them together.

Of course, you should still evolve the character beyond that initial application. They should grow and develop like regular people. And apps should be rewritten accordingly to account for experiences and character changes that have happened through rping.

Basically, I see applications serving as a way for someone else to get to know who you're writing. So you and the personal god of that other character can do your godly magic and intertwine their fates. I do love just throwing my characters in threads to see what happens, but it's more fun to plot things out in advance when you know quite a lot about the other character(s) and how their futures will work together.

user posted image
PMEmailWebsiteAIM
^
CamilleNicole
 Posted: Jun 13 2014, 05:17 AM

68 POSTS
24 YEARS OLD
N/A
01/24/2014
Female

Um...on CA, I do ask for rather detailed applications - especially for non-canon purebloods - but the application on my newer site, currently a work in progress, is rather short because the section where you would usually write history and personality is optional for the majority of the characters.

With that said, though, while I'm not the biggest fan of writing applications, I do see them as a "necessary evil" - especially for fandom-based sites.

KnB roleplay coming soon.
Idol RP coming soon.
PMWebsite
^
Liz
 Posted: Aug 11 2014, 11:50 AM

1532 POSTS
37 YEARS OLD
Minnesota
07/29/2013
Female

I'm with Crystal on this one. I personally really don't do their biography or profile or anything until I RP with the character more. Get sorted and find out what he or she is going to be like. I do their basic bio, birthdate, family history, etc. Or at least as much of it as I can. But beyond that I add to it as they grow.

It might be confusing for some people, but unless the person is a second generation character I am starting them from scratch most of the time. And quite often have no idea who this person is that came into my head.

♥ ♥ Hogwarts RPG ♥ ♥ The Refuge ♥ ♥
A friend is one who knows you, And loves you just the same.
user posted image user posted image user posted image

♥ ♥ Guides ♥ ♥ Discussions ♥ ♥ Challenges ♥ ♥ Nanowrimo ♥ ♥
♥ ♥ Review Shop ♥ ♥ Tracker ♥ ♥ Refuge Staff Needed ♥ ♥
PMEmailWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
Neverwhere!
 Posted: Aug 20 2014, 06:27 PM

149 POSTS
26 YEARS OLD
N/A
08/15/2013
Female

QUOTE (Crystal @ Nov 28 2013, 10:46 PM)
I would prefer to get sorted and be able to RP and develop my character BEFORE making their profile or anything else because the point of roleplay is not to create a fully developed and done character it is to develop them through your experiences.

I could get behind this idea actually.

Normally, and as far as I can remember, sites require that you submit an application and get accepted before you can play with a certain character. Occasionally, you'll run into the sites that say you can play a character as long as you have a work in progress application submitted for them. But for the most part, it's get accepted and then play. And while I don't mind this...Sometimes I don't have a fully thought out character at the point of creation. Sometimes I'll find characters that I want to write first and get the feel of before I make an application.

Now I can understand why sites want an application first. They want to make sure you aren't making a crazy character that is super powerful or has a really traumatic background. I understand why people are hesitant to let us write characters in game without an application first.

But it would be nice if at least once there was a site that let you play a character without submitting an application. Maybe at start you have to submit a short application, nothing detailed or set in stone. It would just be nice not to have to give a fully detailed application from the get go. Sometimes I want to play a character a little bit and get their voice and personality down before writing an application.

user posted image
Signature credited to Crystal!
PM
^
Saska
 Posted: Aug 23 2014, 09:21 PM

35 POSTS
24 YEARS OLD
Saskatchewan
04/16/2014
Female

I like having the application process, for one particular reason that Elena mentioned -- screening out the people who haven't read your stuff. I don't expect a character to be perfectly well-rounded in terms of personality, but I do expect some basic ideas -- hence, why I've started asking for just a list of eight negative and eight positive traits the character has. That's it. Could be likes, dislikes, habits, quirks, whatever, so long as it gives me a BASIC idea of what they're like, you can develop the rest. History it gives an idea of where they started from, what shaped them, what sort of life they led, etc. but we're not looking for a novel. If I'm left asking questions and confused, then there's an issue.

I do know, however, that there would have been one too many instances where if I hadn't had a character application... Well, all hell would have broken loose. I don't think it's too much to ask for a basic description so I can know you have a general idea in mind. I see where Crystal and Silver are coming from, though -- a lot of places nowadays expect you to have a complete, solidified idea in mind, and to me that's not the point. The point is to have a STARTING point, and work on the character from there.

I can say, however, that having an app vs not having one is probably dependent on the type of site, too, though. Something like an original fantasy (like Illyria) an app would help kind of showcase that you've actually sat down and read the site's lore and information, so you're not doing something such as saying he was born in Tokyo, Japan and had a cell phone when it's a medieval fantasy world. (The sad part is, I had one of those come through.)

This post has been edited by Saska: Aug 23 2014, 09:22 PM

user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Liz
 Posted: Aug 24 2014, 02:06 PM

1532 POSTS
37 YEARS OLD
Minnesota
07/29/2013
Female

Merlin! Yeah in instances where especially there are things like the medieval times and cell phones, and clashing with the time frame, I would want to have some sort of application so they understand, the time and not having even just electronics.

I have an application of sorts that I have for people that want to become staff, where we ask both IC and OOC information from them and ask them to give an example RP. It seems to help get to know them better, I'm just looking at the character app part of this. If the character is one you've had for awhile it'll come easy but if it's not and is a brand new character it's hard to do just an application for them without really knowing much about them.

♥ ♥ Hogwarts RPG ♥ ♥ The Refuge ♥ ♥
A friend is one who knows you, And loves you just the same.

♥ ♥ Guides ♥ ♥ Discussions ♥ ♥ Challenges ♥ ♥ Nanowrimo ♥ ♥
♥ ♥ Review Shop ♥ ♥ Tracker ♥ ♥ Refuge Staff Needed ♥ ♥
PMEmailWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
Vii
 Posted: Aug 29 2014, 10:42 PM

32 POSTS
29 YEARS OLD
Missouri
10/18/2013
Female

See, I have to do the application of a character before rping them because otherwise I don't know much about my character and thus won't even know where to begin for rping them. I like the application procession because I learn about my character, even if it's just the basics. Plus, I've learned that no app characters often lead to mary sue's or even getting the details mixed up because you can't remember which character went through what.

Or at least that's my opinion.

user posted image

user posted image user posted image
PM
^
Mikachu
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 04:31 AM

9 POSTS
N/A YEARS OLD
N/A
07/11/2017
Female

I use a very short application on my site where you can just add a glimpse into the character, but Shippers are mandatory for me because that is where I want people to elaborate on their character's story if they have one in mind. If not, they can just add Work In Progress and its fine.

If they have a character story, it goes in the Shipper. If they are working on developing them, then add it later as it unfolds and they grow.

I don't like Applications personally that have very detailed info about the character to write down because 99% of the time, I am making a character for a concept and haven't decided n a set story for them just yet so I refrain from sites that want me to type up their History, an RP Sample and tons of information on them just in the application.
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Roleplay Management | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -