INDEX | RULES & INFORMATION | SUPPORT FORUM | DOCUMENTATION | SEARCH | MEMBERS | TWITTER | TERMS

Add Reply
New Poll

Collapsible Quotes, Ideas?
Chakka
 Posted: Jan 21 2014, 09:50 PM

185 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
N/A
09/29/2013
Male

So as the coding binge continues I've resurrected an old project of mine: collapsible quotes. The code, by default, will collapse all "quote" boxes on your forum and display just the Quote title text (plus date etc. if in time) and then a Show Content button which will cause the actual quoted text to appear as it would now.

It's something boards I used to go to had and it was incredibly useful for nested quotes (you could simply only expand the latest quote, rather than all of them, and not get lost whilst reading tongue.gif) and just keeping discussions neat if quoting became the bulk of a topic smile.gif

That said, I don't quite remember the functionality and I can't find any "live" boards that use it. What I currently have has all the features I've mentioned so far, but the "show content" is not togglable (so once shown you cannot hide again). I'm not sure which way would be better, may just end up including both.

Basically, the point of this topic is: what else should I do with the code? Would it's functionality as it stands be sufficient, should I try and add other features, what would people want? Trying to get some inspiration here tongue.gif

Oh, and I definitely plan on trying to edit the "look" of quotes with this code as default, a little like some codes already on here, just make them a bit more pleasant to look at and easier to skin wink.gif Trying to do that without any more javascript though tongue.gif
PM
^
Crystal
 Posted: Jan 21 2014, 09:53 PM

5665 POSTS
29 YEARS OLD
Missouri, USA
07/13/2012
Female

I would love something like that for long quotes, but I think if I ever used it then I would want it to only show the original quote and the latest one then the OTHERS be toggled if possible. It seems toggling is one of the most PITA functions to get to work the way people want it to so good luck on that one.

Everything it sounds like you have so far seems awesome though.
PMEmailWebsite
^
Chakka
 Posted: Jan 21 2014, 10:02 PM

185 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
N/A
09/29/2013
Male

Hmm, it's an interesting idea. Just so I'm clear it would be something like:

Quote 1: Original (shown)
Quote 2: (hidden)
Quote 3: (hidden)
Quote 4: Latest (shown)

Is that what you mean? I think I've seen somewhere else do that before, not entirely sure how I would go about doing so without assigning id's along the way (which could take too long in page loads, but definitely worth a shot). New ideas already tongue.gif
PM
^
Crystal
 Posted: Jan 21 2014, 11:08 PM

5665 POSTS
29 YEARS OLD
Missouri, USA
07/13/2012
Female

Yes that way people who just quote things in long lines when they are merely replying to the main post don't end up making these huge posts of others quotes that don't even relate.

Plus when the multi-quote becomes a feature as is planned in the future it'll be awesome.
PMEmailWebsite
^
Chakka
 Posted: Jan 24 2014, 02:12 PM

185 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
N/A
09/29/2013
Male

Unfortunately, with the current way Quotes work, the only way to have the OP show is to show everything else as they effectively wrap around one another... and that's what we currently have tongue.gif However, I've worked out how to get the latest post (only) to show, so for long lines of quotes within quotes most are hidden but the one being directly replied to is visible. Currently, this will only affect the first quote in a post, trying to work out how to do it if you have multiple quote cascades tongue.gif

I've also decided just to make all quotes show/hide function togglable, made more sense when I'd implemented it tongue.gif
PM
^
Gunblaza
 Posted: Jan 24 2014, 02:55 PM

77 POSTS
25 YEARS OLD
N/A
08/16/2013
Male

Here is some ideas that you could try to do.

Nest the Quote/Code into it's own box like so

CODE
<div class='quote-box'><div class='quote-header collapse' id='collapse-UID'>QUOTE</div><div class='quote-content' id='collapse-content-UID'>QUOTE STUFF BLAH BLAH BLAH</div></div>

Then you could use Jquery to fetch all the .quote-box classes inside the quote-content and set the collapse classes that way, except for the last one. Which you could just use .quote-box quote-box:last-child with css to show it.

That sounds complicated after reading it haha.
PMWebsite
^
Chakka
 Posted: Jan 24 2014, 04:51 PM

185 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
N/A
09/29/2013
Male

I think I see what you mean, though it doesn't change how it currently works really, unless you can think of a way to inject the <div> elements without javascript? The problem is that each quote is perfectly nested. I can get the final quote to show itself with jquery anyway, but it's shown whilst remaining within another quote that's hidden (if that makes sense tongue.gif). So although it's visible (from a syntax point of view) you can't tell that until you've expanded all the other surrounding quotes tongue.gif

Anyway, I've managed to fix the issue with it only grabbing the first quote cascade if you want the most recent quote shown and set up the conditions for which mode you want. Basically, the functionality I want it to have is there so it's just a case of trying to streamline it a bit (fairly certain it's a little off the wall in terms of logic at the moment tongue.gif)
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Code Discussion | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -