INDEX | RULES & INFORMATION | SUPPORT FORUM | DOCUMENTATION | SEARCH | MEMBERS | TWITTER | TERMS

Add Reply
New Poll

Comfort Zones
Scarey Kerri
 Posted: Jun 6 2014, 11:15 AM

411 POSTS
29 YEARS OLD
Neverland
08/15/2013
Female

So we all have comfort zones in which we always cling to in our graphics. What are some of your comfort zones? Whats something you just cant stop doing that you wish you could? Or whats something that you have just noticed recently that you're trying to break?

I have a lot of comfort areas in my graphics which I've recently been noticing when I make something. I always used to balance my graphics with both stock and textures, but to be honest recently its either one or the other. I'll lean heavily on stock and thats all I'll do, with maybe one or two textures or vise versa.

Another crutch I know I have is dark based graphics and coloring. I have more of a darker based feel to my graphics and I have always had darker themed images. Ive wanted to break out of that comfort zone, for a long time. I wish I could do light graphics that I see everyone do. So I"m working on that.

But what are some of yours? How exactly are you trying to break them?

user posted image
Signature & Avatar by the amazing Crystal! <3
user posted image
PMEmailWebsiteAIM
^
candle.jack
 Posted: Jun 6 2014, 10:26 PM

17 POSTS
28 YEARS OLD
Missouri
09/10/2013
Female

I always use textures. Always. Not sure why, but sometimes I feel like I need to get away from that. I also tend to use a lot of dark coloring/themes. Between those two safety nets, it's hard for me to sometimes create a "light" layout or graphic because I love my grittier textures and tones. u_u

Edit: I also have a bad habit of sometimes using the orange/purple sunset gradient in Photoshop. >3>; It's like I can't get past using other colors. xD

This post has been edited by blackluster.rose: Jun 6 2014, 10:28 PM
PMWebsiteGTalkAIMMSN
^
Liz
 Posted: Jun 6 2014, 11:05 PM

1532 POSTS
38 YEARS OLD
Minnesota
07/29/2013
Female

I tend to try to cut around people and paste them in, and a lot of times it looks sloppy. Sometimes it turns out neat, but I don't tend to look at where the light source is coming from and really need to be more careful and even blend them in instead.

My graphics also tend to be darker quite often. I find it's easier to blend and mix multiple pictures when the colour is dark, but I'm trying to do more with texture and that now to try and break that.

♥ ♥ Hogwarts RPG ♥ ♥ The Refuge ♥ ♥
A friend is one who knows you, And loves you just the same.
user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image user posted image user posted image
♥ ♥ Guides ♥ ♥ Discussions ♥ ♥ Challenges ♥ ♥ Nanowrimo ♥ ♥
♥ ♥ Review Shop ♥ ♥ Tracker ♥ ♥ Refuge Staff Needed ♥ ♥
PMEmailWebsiteAIMYIMMSN
^
Scarey Kerri
 Posted: Jun 29 2014, 06:34 PM

411 POSTS
29 YEARS OLD
Neverland
08/15/2013
Female

@ Blackluster - I do the same thing a lot of times. Textures I've begun using as a crutch and like you need to break away from that. Darker graphics just happen to be a bigger thing these days to, I think more people are leaning towards them with everything that goes on in the world, the music coming out so we tend to do darker themes. But I use that gradient as well crazy! I'm a big person for purple based coloring but I always love using the sunset gradient base so it give sit a little more of a pop.

@ Silver - I used to prefix my images where I cut them out first then blended in the graphic after draging it over but I found it easier to blend and erase inside the canvas graphic as well. It always helped me clean up my erasing a little more.

I think it would be fun and helpful for people to maybe take time out of their graphic making and try to make things different or try new styles. It would defiantly help us all grow as artists.

user posted image
Signature & Avatar by the amazing Crystal! <3
user posted image
PMEmailWebsiteAIM
^
Crystal
 Posted: Jun 30 2014, 08:38 PM

5665 POSTS
29 YEARS OLD
Missouri, USA
07/13/2012
Female

I've gotten into a complete comfort one with this one set of textures I've found myself using over and over lately, and even if I color things differently and mi in entirely new stocks and models in a lot of images you can still find those textures I like. I'm also like a ton of you guys the dark coloring is what is leaned to so often and I do it too, it's just like Kerri says it is influenced by so many things around us that we just stuff it into our graphics too. I've tried moving away from the dark graphics now and then lately because I want to try and step out of that basis comfort zone, but it hasn't done so well as you can see from my gallery full of dark graphics. >_>
PMEmailWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Graphics Discussion | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -